LAUS New Members

Welcome New Members!

Jason Abber, MD

Seth Cohen, MD

Joshua Gonzalez, MD

Amit Gupta, MD

Lisa Shames

Mary Samplaski, MD

Christopher F. Tenggardjaja, MD

Past Meetings

March 6, 2013
Treatment of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma in the Era of Targeted Therapies

August 15, 2012
A New Epigenetic Assay to Address Feared False-Negative Prostate Biopsy Results

July 11, 2012
Urinary Incontinence & Male Slings

View all past meetings

History

L.A. Urological Society True to Founders’ Aim

by: Everett D. Hendricks, MD, Past President

  • Organized urology in the Los Angeles area had its formal beginning on January 19, 1920. On that date the Council of the Los Angeles County Medical Association accepted a petition from a group of urologists and recognized them as the Urologic Section. Their stated purpose, “to advance the study and practice of urology,” has continued to be the objective of this organization over the past 52 years.

There is no doubt that the organizing genius and firm guiding hand of D. Granville MacGowan MD sparked the origin of the society. He was responsible for much more however. By precept and example, by exerting his influence on interested and able men, and by organizing them within the frame work of the existing official medical association, Dr. MacGowan launched an organization that was to grow and endure. Dr. MacGowan had been limiting his practice to urology and dermatology since 1900. Nationally recognized and respected, he had been honored by his election to the Presidency of the American Urological Association in 1913. It was said that his efforts to enhance the reputation of organized medicine in general and elevate the status of urology in particular were fruitful and endless.

It is well to name the men who attended the preliminary meetings and who became charter members of the fledgling organization in 1920. These men were Drs. MacGowan, Ralph R. Campbell, Robert V. Day, Wirt B. Dakin, H. A. Rosenkrantz, Anders Peterson, W.B. Parker, L. Hart, A. R. Rogers, F. S. Dillingham, R. H. Vandenburg, J. C. Negley, L B. Ruth, Ralph Williams, William Mulvehill, and A. B. Cedil. These 16 men served the society with distinction and several became leaders in the sectional and national urological societies. One man in particular should be singled out. Wirt B. Dakin MD, one of the original charter members is still an active and honored member of the society today. Dr. Dakin has been engaged in the study and practice of urology for over 64 years and still participates in the social and scientific activities of the regular meetings. A urologic historian of note, distinguished teacher, pioneer medical motion picture photographer, author and humanitarian, his contributions to organized urology are unique and legion.

During its first decade, the society was headed by presidents Drs. MacGowan, Ralph R. Campbell, Robert V. Day, H. A. Rosenkratz, A. R. Rogers, F. S. Dillingham, Anders Peterson, W. B. Negley, D. Buie Garstang, and J. C. Negley. Through these formative years, these were the men who led the society in the pattern-setting manner that laid the groundwork for the following four decades of progress. During that first decade, Drs. Anders Peterson and Wirt B. Dakin were to be selected as presidents of the Western Section of the American Urological Association, the organization representing urologists in the ten western states.

In the 1930’s the society was presided over by Drs. O. W. Butler, Harry Martin, George F. Schenck, Jay J. Crane, Adolph A. Ferrier and Franklin Farman. These were hard lean years, depression years, requiring mettle-proven men to rise to positions of leadership and guide the society during those difficult times. The continued growth during that period was a tribute to their guiding efforts. During the 30’s Drs. Dillingham and Day were honored to serve as president of the Western Section.

In the next decade, the long war years found a shortage of civilian urologists in the area. This was followed by an era when many returning doctors were trying to resume an interrupted career. Likewise, many new able men were endeavoring to open new offices in an area they had found attractive during their war-time travels. Keeping the society together during this period and maintaining its objectives during the postwar period were Drs. Benjamin H. Hager, Roger W. Barnes, George D. Stillson, Donald A. Charnock, Lyle G. Craig, Chester MacKay, Fred Bennetts, Tracy O. Powell, A. J. Scholl, and Ben D. Massey. During this period the quality of scientific programs continued to improve and urologists from a considerable area began attending the meetings and applying for associate membership. In 1946 the name of the organization was changed to The Los Angeles Urological Society, but the affiliation with LACMA as the Urologic Section was maintained.

To provide refresher courses in urology for the returning veteran, review studies for the young urologist about to take his boards, and to aid in disseminating the abundance of new scientific information to the practicing urologist, and additional education program was needed. One of the society’s distinguished presidents, Tracy O. Powell MD saw this need and wrought its fulfillment. He organized a unique convention under the auspices of the society at which renowned scientists and clinicians from all over the world came to discuss newer accomplishments and changes in urology and allied subjects. This grew into the Los Angeles Urological Research Congress, attended for many years by urologists from great distances and served as a prototype for the large number of similar educational programs that now exist over the country.

Drs. James C. Negley, Jay J. Crane, and Carl R. Rusche were to join those other society members who had been honored by being elected as president of the Western Section during this decade.

During the 1950’s the society was headed by Drs. R. Theodore Bergman, Charles Montgomery Stewart, Milo Ellik, Samuel K. Bacon, Thomas A. LeValley, Herman I. Riddell, Earl F. Nation, Wilbur G. Rogers, Eugene F. Hoffman, and Edmund Crowley. During this decade the organization was to grow in numbers and stature. Urologic teaching institutions were enlarged and more urologists began to make teaching and research their primary occupation. The Los Angeles Urological Society served as a common meeting place for urologists, young and old, for those retired and those in training, for professors and practitioners, for those with Wilshire Blvd. offices and those practicing in small dessert communities. By making each better known to the other, harmony was produced where there might have been friction, respect where there could have been distrust. In the 1950’s, Dr. Paul A. Ferrier, Dr. Adolph A. Kutzman, and Dr. Lyle G. Craig served as president of the Western Section of the American Urological Association and by so doing honored our society.

In the 1960’s and the early 70’s the Urological Society has been headed by Drs. Donald C. Malcolm, Fredrick G. Schlumberger, McCleery Glazier, Barney Silver, Donald H. Pattison, Charles A. Gallup, Glen H. Gummess, Carl L. Wapple, Louis J. Lombardo, Richard C. Onofrio, David B. Lester and Everett D. Hendricks. During this period Drs. Charles Montgomery Stewart, Robert J. Prentiss, John W. Dorsey, and Earl F. Nation were to serve as president of the Western Section. At present Dr. B. Lyman Stewart of our society is president-elect of the Western Section, and Dr. Earl F. Nation is serving as treasurer of the American Urological Association.

Since its inception in 1902, the American Urological Association has elected its president from West of the Rocky Mountains only five times. Four of these men were members of the Los Angeles Urological Society. Dr. Davis Granville MacGowan, had been president in 1913. Dr. Carl R. Rusche was our leader in 1950. Dr. Adolph A. Kutzman was honored as president in 1959. Dr. John W. Dorsey just completed his year as national president in 1971. These men have received the highest honor in organized urology and their fellow society members are proud of them and grateful for the manner in which they have represented us.

From the sixteen pioneers who signed the charter in 1920, the society has now increased its membership to 240 urologists at present. The growth has been steady and progressive but not without stimulating controversy and nourishing disagreements. Urologists have ever been an outspoken lot, strong in their opinions, often prone to be argumentative and frequently vociferous in their discussions. Thus the meetings have not always been of tea party-like demeanor. The tendency to freely air differences of opinion on subjects ranging from choice of operative approach to the prostate to the role of the teaching institution or the closed panel organization in the practice of urology has produced heated discussions. This very same free exchange of opinion and frank analysis of differences have not always produced agreement but usually promoted understanding and respect for the position of the other. By thus providing a friendly environment for airing differences and for finding common ground the society has flourished as an organization for all physician in this area whose primary medical interest is in urology and who agree with its simple but noble aspiration “to advance the study and practice of urology.”

Under the leadership of the current president, Dr. Willard E. Goodwin and assisted by president-elect, Dr. Robert G. Kaller, vice-president, Dr. James W. Morrow and secretary-treasurer, Dr. John Fenimore Cooper, the future of the society is in capable and conscientious hands, and continued progress is assured.

Thanks to the following companies for their support of our programs